So a Guy Walked into the Gynecologist Office…

Hey everyone! Welcome to this weeks installment of my transition. Today, we’re going to be talking a little bit about ‘girl stuff’. I also have some pretty big news down there towards the end.

The OB/GYN Appointment

Last week, I had to go to my gynecologist for a repeat colposcopy (biopsy). My pap came back abnormal probably about 2 years ago, and so I was referred to this gynecologist for a follow-up.

First, he did another pap. When that also came back abnormal he suggested I do the colposcopy. I’ve been repeating them every 4-6 months as they keep coming back somewhere in the mild to moderate dysplasia rage. It was about to go away for a while, but it has started to resurface lately so we’re still watching it.

Seeing as how I pass now, this visit was quite amusing. I was a little nervous, to be honest. It’s not because of the doctor though. He’s cool about (and completely fascinated about) the transition and has at least one other patient that is transgender. My nervousness was mostly related to office staff and people in the waiting room.

I don’t like waiting rooms anyway because being packed into a small room full of (in this case, hormone-filled) strangers is just not my idea of fun, and OB/GYN waiting rooms make me feel slightly inadequate as a mother and woman (which I am not, so go fig!).

When I first got there, I picked a corner and sat down. After I dealt with the slightly pushy receptionist who always asks if I’d like to make a payment on my obnoxiously large balance and can’t seem to grasp $20 and $5/month is all she’s ever going to get from me, I ended up sitting right back where I had been sitting.

I wasn’t alone this time though. A pregnant girl was sitting right next to the seat with who, for sake of ease, I just assumed was her mom. (Just FYI I don’t outwardly assume anything anymore, or try not to, but as I ‘people-watch’ I like to make little stories in my head that probably aren’t true, but could be. I just don’t make that assumption in reality.)

When I sat back down I could feel the ‘uncomfortable’ coming off her. It inwardly made me both smile, and sigh. Yes, I’m a guy, but not (because the veil is lifted when they yell out “Elizabeth” at the doctor’s office), and guys alone at the gynecologist are just weird okay?

Anyway, I hid my own discomfort by playing and searching for information on my phone while I waited. Once I got called back, the damn nurse was uncomfortable too! I mean, to be fair, this nurse is not the normal nurse, but she didn’t seem to quite know what to do with me.

So, she had me sign the colposcopy consent form like I always have to do and asked me a few questions. I updated my meds, because I don’t think the T was on the list even though I’ve been taking it for 11 months now and we’ve talked about it. It may have been that I just didn’t consider it a ‘medication’?

After that, I get undressed from the waist down and go put the paper thing over my lap. The doctor comes in and that’s when I realize why he doesn’t usually make me wait long at all. He told me I got undressed fast because he was listening for the paper rattling! XD Alright, a little creepy, I have to admit, but in his line of work, I get it.

Of course, we sit there and bullshit while he’s doing his thing. The whole time the nurse, who is always in the room for the procedure, is still throwing out vibes of discomfort. My doctor, however, is totally chill.

As I lay there and we’re talking, I’m wondering how many of these we have to do before I can get them to just take the whole damn thing out (also known as a hysterectomy). It is part of the bottom surgery, and I’m half-hoping that this progresses to me needing one, but it probably won’t. (No, I don’t hope it gets worse, really. It would just be nice if my insurance would cover the procedure, right?)

Anyway, we finish up and I head out. I got my results a couple of days ago, which was fast. The pap was negative like it has been for a while, but the biopsy still showed mild-to-moderate dysplasia, so I’m scheduled to go back in September (because October is a crazy time at the shop and I can’t get away without losing much-needed work hours).

I’ll attempt to keep you all updated if anything changes.

Oh Happy Day!

Yesterday, as some of you probably saw on my Facebook post, I went to file for a name change. It was remarkably easy to accomplish, though it’s not finalized yet.

Because I had a lot of questions about this process, I’ll try to answer them here. Keep in mind that I am in Anderson County, Tennessee. The process could be different if you are in another location. I always recommend Googling “how to change your name in [your location]” when you’re ready to start the process yourself.

For me, it started with a trip to the courthouse in Clinton, the county seat, a few months ago. The lady at the front desk was really helpful and directed me up to the chancery court window on the 3rd floor.

At the window, I was met with some pretty grumpy people. If you’re looking to get your name changed, don’t let them freak you out. I’m pretty sure they just hate their jobs (I know I would hate their jobs XD). It took ‘grumpy lady’ (I’m sorry, I didn’t catch her name) a few seconds to ask if she could help me from way back behind her big, comfy desk.

I asked for the name change forms and she gave me some directions. Mainly they were, fill it out, go down to the front desk to get it notarized, then come back up to the window. She told me the fee was $175.95 (this fee varies drastically by county and state, btw). I knew I didn’t have the money that day, but I went ahead and got the form to fill out.

The form itself is surprisingly simple. You write your current name a couple of times, give the reason for your name change, and then write down the name that you wish to change it to.

I labored and worried about the reason for a long time. Hell, I labored over the middle name for well over a year, and still hadn’t picked a middle name when I went to get the form.

I finally picked a middle name last week. Well, okay, 2 middle names. It’s Kamui-Ryu. The hyphen is in there just so I can get the whole name on everything. It loosely means dragon god (or god dragon in the order that they are in). My spirit animal is a dragon, and Kamui I got from an anime a while back. I almost named London “Kamui” when he was born, so decided to use it.

After you fill out the form, you sign it in front of the notary (sweet front desk lady can do this) and take it back up to the chancery court window, where they process the fees and get you set up with a court date. This is what I did yesterday with Paul and Manderley by my side. I definitely wouldn’t be at this point without them.

So, I get to the courthouse with the form and talk to the sweet front desk lady. She’s more than happy to help out and I sign the book where she keeps a record of her notary stuff. Then directs me up to the third floor again, because I’ve forgotten by now where I’m going anyway.

I was nervous, and therefore ditzy, as I made my way up to the third floor. We went through the metal detector after dumping all our metal and electronics into the baskets.

We found out that my aluminum chainmail does not set it off, even with the stainless steel lobster clasps, so that was interesting. They’re also non-magnetic. Anyway, I digress.

Once that was done, we headed to the chancery court window and again it took the same ‘grumpy lady’ a few seconds to help us. She was still the same level of “I-hate-my-job” grumpy, but took the form and put it in. I’m not sure what she had to do on the computer with it but I felt like we had to wait forever! (She was probably making sure I’m not a convicted felon or have warrants out for my arrest)

When she came back, I paid and then we picked a court date. I learned later that the chancery court judge takes a lot of time off when the kids are out for the summer, so keep that in mind. Chancery court is held on Mondays and Fridays in Anderson County, and the next available court date was July 9th.

She put me down for it and told me that court starts and 9am and they would not be giving me a call. Probably because they add me to a paper desk calendar which I found odd in the 21st century, but hey, who am I to judge?

Best thing is ‘grumpy lady’ actually smiled and was cheerful towards the end. I was so happy that I wished her a great day with enthusiasm! LOL

After that, we went to have a celebratory lunch at Waffle House.

Answering Questions

So, I’ve been asked quite a few questions lately about my transition and I love to answer all of them in long format. In order to do that and not make this an insanely long blog post, I’ve created a FAQs page that will have a list of questions and answers for them.

If you have any questions about my transition, please look there first. If you don’t see what you’re looking for or feel there needs to be more information about a specific question, please let me know! Here’s a link to the FAQs page again.

Take care!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s